Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Coconut crepes with blueberry fillings

Coconut crepe with blueberry yogurt


I saw a bag of coconut flour in Costco and I thought I should buy it. There must be a lot of Indonesian cakes recipe that use coconut flour. WRONG !!

So I searched for coconut flour recipes and I found this one from Kitchen Stewardship.
And I am hooked !

I am not doing gluten free diet and I don't like cherry so I modified it a bit. It is so yummy and easy to make. It tastes much better than regular crepes in my opinion especially if you love coconut smell. Top that with: My picky eater hubby loves it and it is LOW CARB - yayyyy !!! I've made it a couple times since.

Here is my modified version:

Made: 8 crepes (small ones - I would say for 2 adults)
Cooking time: 20 mins

Crepes:
- 2 eggs - put in warm water if you're just getting it out of fridge.
- 2 table spoons coconut oil coconut oil - melted
- 1 tbs maple syrup or agave
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbs coconut flour; sifted
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of whole milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla

Filling
- 1 cup of yogurt (plain) or blueberry
- 1 tbsp of cream cheese (I use lowfat)
- 1/2 cup of frozen blue berries
- 2 tbsp of honey (if you use plain yogurt) - if you use blueberry yogurt then you don't need this

Steps for crepes:
1.  Whisk eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. It's nice to have room temperature eggs, because coconut oil solidify fast so having a warmer egg will prevent that.
2. Add coconut flour and milk. Continue stirring until there is no big lumps.
3. Heat up small frying pan on medium heat. I use 8 - 10" non stick pan. I would say you have to use non stick pan because this batter breaks easily.
4. When hot, I scrape the left over coconut oil and brush it on the pan. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter and tilt the pan to spread out the batter.
5. Cook until dry (1 - 2 mins). Flip it for a short time (half a min).

Steps for filling:
1. Put all ingredients in blender.
2. Pour 2 - 3 tbs for each crepes. Fold the crepes. Enjoy...

For presentation, I sprinkle powder sugar on top, but honestly... it does not make a different. We ate ours without the powder sugar =).


No comments:

09 10